Volunteer Training: Horseshoe Crab Survey
For more than a decade, the Center has also been collecting vital information about horseshoe crabs that spawn in the Bays through its Horseshoe Crab Survey. In addition to counting the number of horseshoe crabs observed, volunteers collect additional data on this iconic species and even help to tag some crabs which will provide insight on their movements throughout the Bays and nearby estuaries.
This year, all training sessions will be held in-person and virtually through Zoom. Registration information and the required volunteer waivers are available online at https://www.inlandbays.org/get-involved/volunteer/. The dates and times for each training along with more information about each particular volunteer effort are provided below.
- Reforestation Survey: Wednesday, February 22nd at 6 pm at the Center’s office.
- James Farm Docent Program: Wednesday, March 1st at 6 pm at the Center’s office. To learn more about the program, visit inlandbays.org/james-farm-docent-program.
- Shorezone Fish & Blue Crab Survey: Wednesday, March 8th at 6 pm at the South Coastal Library. To learn more about the survey, visit inlandbays.org/fishsurvey.
- Horseshoe Crab Survey: Thursday, March 30th at 6 pm at the Lewes Library. To learn more about the survey, go to inlandbays.org/horseshoe-crab-survey.
- Diamondback Terrapin Survey: Wednesday, April 19th at 6 pm at the South Coastal Library. To learn more about the survey, visit inlandbays.org/terrapins.
- Discovery Bay: Wednesday, April 26th at 6 pm at the Center’s office. To learn more about public programs, visit https://www.inlandbays.org/projects-and-issues/all/james-farm-preserve/public-programs-at-the-james-farm-ecological-preserve/
Recordings of all training sessions will be made available on the individual programs’ webpage following the scheduled sessions.